What to eat before your run
Try a healthy version of Banana Bread
Eating the right food before your run is vital for your performance. As you already know carbohydrates are your main source of energy, which is stored in your muscles as glycogen. The body is able to store only small amounts of it, so it is important you consume foods that will top up your storage. Everyone is different and you have to see for yourself how comfortable you feel with eating around your training session. You need to allow enough time for your food to digest before you start running. Usually 30 minutes to two hours should be enough, depending on the quantity of food you consumed.
I would like to share with you a quick energy-boosting recipe, which you can have as a snack before your run or after your training. It is a healthy version of banana bread, which will give you sustainable energy. You can add some almond butter on top for added protein and good fats.
Healthy Banana Bread (makes 1 loaf)
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1⁄2 cup Medjool dates
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice flour
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 3 tbsp almond butter
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1⁄2 tsp cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp baking soda
- 50gr pecan nuts, chopped
- Heat the oven to 160 C degrees.
- Mash the ripe bananas with a fork and place them in a food processor.
- Remove the pits from the dates and place them in the food processor. Blend together with the bananas until you get a nice and creamy consistency.
- Beat the two eggs with a fork and add them to the banana and date mixture. Blend again.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (without the pecans) to the food processor and blend until you get a doughy texture.
- Grease a loaf with some oil and place the dough inside. Add the pecans and mix well.
- Bake for about 45 minutes.
Enjoy with some almond butter or fresh fruit!
Looking for more tips and tricks regarding nutrition for your competition?
- Protein Power Bowl Recipe - A great way to fuel your energy after training. By Vesela Savova (In English)
- Longing for something sweet and chocolaty!? Try these healthy Quinoa Brownies. By Jennifer Ries (In English)
- You sure know that it is important to stay hydrated, but what's best!? Find out more. By Vesela Savova (In English)
- Wondering what to eat on your restday!? Vesela has some tips for you.By Vesela Savova (In English)